If we have a pet at home, we must not forget that domestic animals have their own micro-organisms, just like humans. Many of these micro-organisms do not cause any harm to the animal, but some can cause mild infections, even if the animal does not show obvious signs, and can even be transmitted to humans and cause infections. These types of diseases are known as “zoonoses”.
To avoid your pet’s germs being transmitted to the rest of the inhabitants of the house, follow a routine of cleaning and disinfection in your home. We give you 7 basic tips to avoid these germs spreading to other members of the household.
7 tips to prevent the transfer of pet germs:
- Have your pet checked by a vet. For their own health and that of other family members. Controlling bacteria and micro-organisms that may live on our pet, especially in dogs and cats that spend part of the day on the street, will be important.
- Wash your hands after touching your pet. Avoid touching your nose or eyes with unwashed hands.
- Clean your pet when it comes from the street. Deep cleaning is not necessary. Simply wash its feet as much as possible with wet wipes or dry it if it comes wet.
- Avoid it being in areas of the house like the kitchen. This is where food is prepared and where we must be most careful in avoiding the spread of germs.
- Put its feeder and a place to relieve itself in a separate place. This will prevent bacteria from passing from this place to the areas where the rest of the family members live.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before cooking or touching the children, if you come from being with your pet.
- Use disinfectant products when cleaning. Do not use products that may be toxic to your pet. The Sanytol range does not contain bleach and makes it the perfect product for homes with dogs, cats or other pets. Floor & Surface Disinfectant Cleaner – Eucalyptus will help keep germs that collect on the floor of your home or in their cages and play areas at bay. In addition, this Sanytol product does not incite urine, deodorises and leaves a pleasant aroma. It is therefore the best floor cleaner for homes with dogs and other pets.
It is very important that you take these tips on disinfection into account, especially in cases where babies and pets live in the same house.